You used to follow me everywhere without thinking twice

 You used to follow me everywhere without thinking twice…

little paws behind my footsteps like a second heartbeat in the house.

Now sometimes I still turn around expecting to see you there.

But the hallway stays empty.

And somehow… that hurts in a way I can’t explain.

I miss the shadow that chose me every single day.

I miss hearing your nails tapping softly against the floor at midnight.
I miss feeling your warm body appear beside me in the kitchen.
I even miss tripping over you while doing ordinary things.

You made loneliness impossible.

And now silence follows me instead.

Sometimes the sun hits the floor just right…
and for one tiny second,
I swear I can still see your outline beside me.

Like your soul never fully left this home.

Maybe love leaves shadows behind.
Maybe that’s what grief really is —
love still walking beside us,
even after the paws are gone.

So if I pause near your favorite spot…
or still whisper your name into quiet rooms…
It's because part of me still believes you’re following close behind.

And maybe you are.

Just somewhere my eyes can’t reach yet. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster