The moment you left

 The moment you left…

it felt like something inside my chest stopped moving too.

Not my heartbeat.
Something deeper than that.
Something warm.
Something alive.
Something that had quietly depended on your presence for far longer than I realized.
The house became unbearably still afterward.
No nails tapping across the floor.
No sleepy sighs from the corner of the room.
No soft weight leaning against my legs while I stood in the kitchen pretending I wasn’t lonely.
Just silence.
And grief has a way of making silence feel physical.
Heavy.
I remember sitting on the floor beside your bed after goodbye, holding your collar so tightly my hands hurt.
As if gripping something you touched could somehow keep you close a little longer.
I didn’t want the world to continue without you in it.
Because how could it?
You had become part of every ordinary thing.
Morning routines.
Late-night comfort.
The feeling of safety after difficult days.
You were there through heartbreak I never talked about.
Through tears nobody saw.
Through moments when I genuinely didn’t know how I would survive another day.
And somehow…
you always stayed.
That is why losing you felt less like losing a pet and more like losing the heartbeat beside my own.
Some days I still pause when I hear sounds outside the door, forgetting for one tiny hopeful second that you are gone.
Some nights I still sleep lightly, as if my soul is waiting for your paws to climb back onto the bed.
Love creates reflexes grief cannot erase.
But somewhere inside all this pain, there is comfort too.
Because I believe souls like yours do not simply disappear.
I believe somewhere beyond the clouds, beyond sickness and time, there is a peaceful place beneath the Rainbow Bridge .

A meadow filled with warm sunlight and endless running fields where tired old dogs become young again.
Maybe your spirit rests there now.
Maybe that’s why some nights I suddenly feel calm for no reason.
Why certain dreams feel too real to just be dreams.
Why my chest still warms whenever I whisper your name into the dark.
Because even though your body left this world…
your love never did.
And maybe the reason my chest went still that day…
is because part of my heart followed you home.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster