I left with your love

 I left with your love…

Even though I didn’t want to leave at all.
I remember that final moment more clearly than anything else.
The room was quiet.
Too quiet.
The kind of silence that makes your chest feel hollow before the goodbye has even happened.
I held your paw in both of my hands and tried so hard to be brave for you.
But my heart was breaking in places I didn’t know existed.
You looked so tired.
And yet somehow… your eyes still searched for me.
Still trusted me.
Still loved me.
That’s the part that destroys me the most sometimes.
Even at the end… you were comforting me.
I whispered how sorry I was.
Over and over again.
Sorry for not being able to save you.
Sorry for every moment I took for granted.
Sorry that love alone could not keep you here beside me forever.
And then…
You rested your head against me one last time.
Softly.
Peacefully.
Like you wanted me to carry that feeling with me after you were gone.
And I do.
I carry it everywhere.
In every quiet drive home.
In every lonely night.
In every moment the world feels too heavy and I instinctively reach for a comfort that no longer exists in physical form.
People think grief fades with time.
But love like yours doesn’t fade.
It settles deeper.
Into the soul.
Into memory.
Into the invisible spaces where heartbreak and gratitude somehow live together.
I still miss the ordinary things most.
Your sleepy breathing at night.
The sound of your paws hurrying toward me.
The way you made even the darkest days feel survivable just by existing near me.
You were my safe place.
And when I walked away that day… I thought I was leaving with nothing except grief.
But I was wrong.
I left with your love wrapped around my heart forever.
Now when I look at the evening sky glowing with stars and soft rainbow light, I imagine you beyond the Rainbow Bridge… healthy again, running freely through endless golden fields. 
No pain.
No fear.
Just peace.
And maybe one day… when my own journey is over… your paws will find me again.
Until then, I will keep carrying the greatest thing you ever gave me.
Your love. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster