I still remember that day

 I still remember that day.

The day my heart broke in a way I didn't think it ever could.
The day I held on for as long as possible because letting go felt impossible.
The day the world seemed to pause while mine quietly fell apart.
And yet, when I think about it now...
I don't remember the darkness as much as I remember the light.
Because somehow, the light became your path.
It was there in the gentle hands that helped you.
It was there in the soft words whispered through tears.
It was there in the final moments when love surrounded you from every direction.
I know you were tired.
I know your body had carried more than it should have.
I know there came a moment when staying became harder than leaving.
But oh, how I wished love could have kept you here forever.
For a long time, I replayed that day in my mind.
Every detail.
Every second.
Every goodbye.
Wondering if I could have loved you more.
Wondering if I could have held on longer.
Wondering if my heart would ever stop searching for yours.
But grief has a way of teaching us things we never wanted to learn.
And slowly, I began to see something different.
I began to see the light.
Not the light of loss.
The light of love.
The love that carried you through every walk.
Every adventure.
Every cuddle on the couch.
Every sleepy morning.
Every ordinary day that became extraordinary simply because we shared it together.
That love didn't end when your eyes closed.
It became something else.
Something brighter.
Something eternal.
Now, when I picture you, I don't see your final day.
I see you running.
Free.
Strong.
Happy.
Beyond the Rainbow Bridge where endless meadows stretch beneath golden skies.
I imagine sunlight dancing across your fur.
Butterflies drifting through the tall grass.
A warm breeze carrying your joyful spirit across fields that never end.
And I imagine a beautiful path of light leading you there.
A path made from every kiss on your forehead.
Every scratch behind your ears.
Every bedtime cuddle.
Every "good boy" and every "good girl."
A path built entirely from love.
Because love was always your compass.
And love became your path home.
Sometimes, when the evening sky glows with soft gold and the clouds seem touched by heaven itself, I feel a strange peace settle over me.
As if you're telling me not to remember the moment you left.
But the countless moments you lived.
Not the goodbye.
But the love.
Not the darkness.
But the light.
And perhaps that's the greatest gift you left behind.
The reminder that real love never ends in shadow.
It continues shining.
Guiding.
Comforting.
Connecting hearts across every distance.
The light became your path.
And one day, when my own journey is complete, I believe that same love will guide me too.
Until then, I will look for you in every sunrise.
Every rainbow.
Every star that appears in the quiet night sky.
And every beam of light that reminds me...
You found your way home.
Forever loved.
Forever shining.
Forever waiting beyond the light.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster