Ever since you left

 Ever since you left…

the air in this house feels unfinished.
That’s the only way I know how to explain it.
Everything still looks the same.
The couch is still here.
The windows still let in morning light.
The clock still ticks softly through quiet evenings.
But something invisible disappeared when you did.
Something warm.
Something alive.
I feel it most at night.
When the house settles into silence and there are no paws clicking across the floor anymore.
No sleepy stretch beside the bed.
No gentle breathing filling the dark spaces between my thoughts.
Just stillness.
The kind that feels too big for one person to carry alone.
I never realized how much of this home was actually you.
Not just your toys or your leash or the little nose prints on the glass door.
You were the feeling inside these walls.
The comfort.
The routine.
The heartbeat hidden quietly inside ordinary days.
You made the air softer somehow.
Safer.
Even hard days felt survivable because you were waiting at the end of them.
Now grief lingers in the smallest places.
In the untouched corner where your bed used to be.
In the sound of keys unlocking a door you no longer run toward.
In the way my hand still reaches down absentmindedly expecting to feel your fur beside me.
Love leaves habits behind.
And grief lives inside them.
Sometimes I sit very still and close my eyes…
and for one impossible second, I swear I can feel you nearby again.
Like your spirit still moves gently through this home you loved.
Maybe that’s why certain rooms suddenly feel warmer.
Why certain moments arrive wrapped in peace instead of pain.
Maybe souls that loved this deeply never fully leave the places they called home.
I like to imagine you now somewhere beautiful beyond this world…
resting beneath golden skies where pain cannot follow anymore.
Running freely through endless meadows while stars shimmer above the Rainbow Bridge.
But part of you still lingers here too.
In the silence.
In the memories.
In the unfinished air my heart still shares with yours.
And maybe it always will. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster