You found the easy side before I did

 You found the easy side before I did.


And some days, that thought is the only thing that brings me peace.

Because if love could have kept you here, you would have stayed forever.

If devotion could have healed every ache, every weakness, every tired breath...

You would still be lying beside me right now.

But life doesn't work that way.

And neither does goodbye.

I remember those last days.

The days when I watched you grow tired.

When getting up seemed harder.

When your eyes still held so much love, even while your body struggled to keep up.

I wished I could carry every bit of pain for you.

I wished I could trade places.

I wished there was one more miracle waiting around the corner.

But sometimes the greatest act of love is letting go.

And that is a lesson I never wanted to learn.

After you left, I kept thinking about what came next for you.

Not because I doubted your love.

But because I needed to believe that something beautiful was waiting on the other side of all that suffering.

I needed to believe that the story didn't end there.

And little by little, my heart began painting a picture.

A place where old legs run again.

Where tired bodies become strong.

Where cloudy eyes see clearly.

Where every painful step is replaced by effortless joy.

A place where no one says goodbye.

A place where every dog is greeted with open skies, endless meadows, and the kind of peace we spend our whole lives searching for.

I imagine you arriving there.

At first, looking back for me.

Wondering where I was.

Then realizing something.

The pain was gone.

The heaviness was gone.

The struggle was gone.

Only love remained.

Only freedom.

Only light.

And maybe that's why I call it the easy side.

Because while I'm still here learning how to carry the loss...

You're there carrying none of the hurt.

While I'm counting the days since I last held you...

You're running through forever.

While I'm wishing for one more moment...

You're surrounded by endless moments.

Happy ones.

Beautiful ones.

The kind you always deserved.

That doesn't make me miss you less.

If anything, I miss you more.

Because I would give anything to see you healthy and happy with my own eyes.

To feel your fur beneath my hand.

To hear your paws coming down the hallway one more time.

To watch your tail wag like it used to.

But when the grief becomes too heavy, I remind myself of something.

The reason this hurts so much is because I loved you deeply.

And the reason I can survive it is because you loved me back.

You left me with a thousand memories.

A thousand lessons.

A thousand reasons to smile through tears.

And those gifts are still carrying me forward.

So when I look up at the evening sky, I don't only think about what I lost.

I think about what you gained.

Freedom.

Peace.

Joy.

The easy side.

I imagine you stretched out in a meadow beneath a sky filled with stars.

The breeze moving gently through your fur.

Wildflowers swaying around you.

No pain.

No fear.

No goodbyes.

Just love.

Pure and endless.

And maybe, every now and then, you glance toward Earth.

Not because you're sad.

Not because you're lonely.

But because you're waiting.

Knowing that one day, when my journey is finished, I'll cross that bridge too.

And you'll be there.

Healthy.

Happy.

Tail wagging.

Ready to show me the easy side for yourself.

Until then, I hold onto the comfort of knowing this:

You may have left my arms.

But you arrived somewhere beautiful.

And that thought helps my heart rest a little easier tonight. 🌈🐾❤️

Forever loved.

Forever free.

Forever on the easy side of pain.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster