I haven’t left that moment

 I haven’t left that moment.


Part of me is still there.

Still sitting in that room.

Still holding your paw.

Still hoping for one more breath.

One more blink.

One more miracle.

The world kept moving after you left.

The clock continued ticking.

The sun still rose the next morning.

People went to work.

Cars filled the streets.

Life carried on as if nothing had happened.

But my heart...

My heart stayed behind.

It stayed in that moment where everything changed.

I can still remember every detail.

The sound of the room.

The way the light fell across your fur.

The feeling of your head resting beneath my hand.

The look in your eyes.

So tired.

So trusting.

So full of love.

Even then.

Especially then.

You spent your whole life taking care of me.

And somehow, in your final moments, you were still trying to.

I remember whispering that it was okay.

That you could rest.

That I loved you.

Though the truth is...

I wasn't ready.

I would never have been ready.

How could I be?

How do you prepare your heart to say goodbye to the soul that walked beside it every day?

For a long time, I thought there was something wrong with me.

Because everyone else seemed to move forward.

Months passed.

Then years.

Yet sometimes, all it takes is a memory...

A photograph...

The sound of another dog's collar jingling...

And suddenly I'm right back there.

Back in that moment.

Back in that room.

Back in the goodbye I never wanted.

But grief has taught me something.

Maybe I'm not meant to completely leave that moment.

Maybe part of me stays because part of you is there too.

Not trapped.

Not suffering.

Just preserved in love.

Because that moment wasn't only the end.

It was also proof of everything that came before it.

Every walk.

Every adventure.

Every cuddle on the couch.

Every happy greeting at the door.

Every ordinary day that became extraordinary simply because we shared it together.

That final moment held an entire lifetime of love inside it.

And maybe that's why it never fully lets go.

Sometimes, when the ache becomes too much, I close my eyes and imagine you now.

Beyond the Rainbow Bridge.

Running through endless golden meadows.

Your body young again.

Your spirit free again.

Your tail wagging the way it always did when you were happy.

I imagine the pain gone.

The struggle gone.

The goodbye gone.

Only joy remaining.

Only peace.

Only love.

And then something beautiful happens.

The moment I thought had broken me begins to soften.

Because I realize that while I may still visit that day...

You don't live there anymore.

You moved beyond it.

Into light.

Into freedom.

Into forever.

And one day, when my own journey is complete, I won't have to keep looking back.

Because you'll come running toward me.

Healthy.

Happy.

Whole.

And the moment that hurt so much will finally be replaced by one that heals everything.

Until then, if part of me still lingers in that goodbye...

That's okay.

Because the rest of me carries your love forward.

And maybe that's how healing begins.

Not by leaving the moment behind.

But by letting love walk us gently beyond it. 🌈🐾❤️

Forever loved.

Forever remembered.

Forever more than a moment.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster