People think memories slowly fade

 People think memories slowly fade.

But yours never did.

They didn't stay behind in old photographs or tucked away inside a drawer with your collar...

They moved into me.

They became part of who I am.

I still catch myself listening for your paws when I unlock the front door.

For one quiet second, my heart forgets.

It expects to hear that happy little run across the floor.

That familiar sound that always meant, "You're home."

The silence that follows still catches me off guard.

Some mornings, I wake up and reach toward the side of the bed where you always curled up.

I know you're not there.

And yet...

My heart reaches anyway.

Love remembers what the mind already knows.

There are little pieces of you hidden everywhere in my life.

In the way I smile at every gray-faced old dog I pass.

In the way I still keep treats in my pocket out of habit.

In the kindness you've quietly taught me to give without expecting anything back.

You changed me in ways I never noticed while you were here.

Only after you were gone did I realize that your greatest gift wasn't just your companionship...

It was the person your love helped me become.

Sometimes, when the evening sky turns gold and the first stars begin to shine, I close my eyes and imagine you.

Not as you were on your hardest day.

But as you were before illness.

Running freely through endless green meadows beyond the Rainbow Bridge.

Your fur glowing in the warm light.

Your tail wagging with that same joy that could brighten my darkest days.

I like to believe you still look back every now and then.

Not because you're lonely.

But because love always looks for the ones it belongs to.

And maybe...

When a gentle breeze brushes against my hand...

Or a feather drifts across my path...

Or I dream of you without even trying...

That's your way of reminding me that heaven isn't as far away as it feels.

Your memory doesn't live inside your empty bowl.

Or your favorite blanket.

Or even the collar I still can't bring myself to put away.

Your memory lives in every laugh you gave me.

Every lesson you taught me.

Every quiet moment when I choose love because you showed me what unconditional love truly looks like.

You may no longer walk beside me.

But you still guide my heart.

And I believe there will come a day when I hear those familiar paws again before I ever see your face.

You'll come running toward me with the same happiness you always had...

As though we were never apart.

Until that beautiful reunion...

Your memory lives in me.

Every heartbeat.

Every breath.

Every tomorrow.

Forever.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster