I didn't notice it all at once

 I didn't notice it all at once.

It happened in little moments...

The kind that quietly break your heart.

One morning, I poured my coffee and realized no one was waiting beside me, hoping I'd accidentally drop a crumb.

I walked into the living room and didn't have to step over your favorite sleeping spot.

The house hadn't changed.

But somehow...

Everything had.

I noticed the silence first.

Not because it was loud.

Because it was missing you.

There was no soft sigh as you settled onto the floor.

No gentle tap of paws following me from room to room.

No familiar jingle of your collar telling me I was never truly alone.

I found your toy beneath the couch weeks later.

Dust had gathered around it.

I picked it up without thinking...

And held it against my chest as though it still carried your warmth.

For a moment, I could almost hear your happy bark.

Almost.

Some evenings I still catch myself looking toward the window before the sun goes down.

You always loved watching the world grow quiet.

Birds flying home.

Leaves dancing in the breeze.

The sky slowly turning gold.

Now I watch it alone.

But I like to believe you're watching it too...

From somewhere even more beautiful.

A place where old bones don't ache.

Where every field is endless.

Where every day begins with joy.

Sometimes people ask me if I've "moved on."

I don't think love works that way.

I haven't moved on from you.

I've simply learned to carry you differently.

You're no longer walking beside me.

You're walking inside me.

In every gentle choice I make.

In every dog I stop to pet.

In every quiet prayer whispered beneath the evening stars.

Your love didn't disappear when you left this world.

It became part of mine.

And every now and then...

When a rainbow appears after the rain...

Or a feather lands where there was no wind...

Or I dream of your bright eyes and wagging tail...

I smile through my tears.

Because I know you're reminding me of something my heart has always believed.

You were never truly gone.

Only out of sight.

One day, when my journey is finished, I know I'll notice something again.

The sound of paws running toward me.

The happiest greeting I've ever known.

And this time...

I'll never have to say goodbye again.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster