Be their safe place

 Be their safe place.


Because one day, you'll realize that being someone's whole world is one of life's greatest privileges.

Dogs don't ask for much.

They don't need perfect homes.

Perfect lives.

Perfect people.

They just need someone who feels safe.

Someone whose voice can calm a storm.

Someone whose presence can make the world feel less frightening.

Someone they can trust with their heart.

For my dog, I wanted to be that person.

Not because I always got it right.

I didn't.

There were busy days.

Distracted days.

Days when I wished I had given a little more time, a few more cuddles, one extra walk.

But through all of it, my dog still looked at me the same way.

With trust.

With comfort.

With a kind of faith I didn't always feel I deserved.

When thunder shook the windows, you came looking for me.

When something scared you, you pressed against my leg.

When the world felt unfamiliar, you searched the room until your eyes found mine.

And the moment they did...

You relaxed.

Not because the fear disappeared.

But because you weren't facing it alone.

I've thought about that a lot since you've been gone.

About how often you chose me.

Out of everyone.

Out of everything.

You chose me to be your safe place.

What an incredible gift that was.

What a responsibility.

What an honor.

Sometimes, after losing a dog, we focus so much on what they gave us that we forget what we gave them.

We remember the loyalty.

The companionship.

The unconditional love.

But we forget that to them, we were comfort.

We were protection.

We were home.

You didn't measure my worth by my mistakes.

You didn't keep score.

You didn't expect perfection.

You only wanted my presence.

A gentle hand.

A familiar voice.

A place beside me.

And somehow, that was enough.

Now, when I think of you beyond the Rainbow Bridge, I wonder if you still feel that same safety.

I imagine endless golden meadows.

Warm sunlight dancing across the grass.

Wildflowers stretching toward the horizon.

A gentle breeze carrying the scent of peace.

No fear.

No pain.

No loneliness.

Just comfort.

Just love.

Just home.

And maybe that's because the love we shared followed you there.

Maybe the safety you felt beside me became part of your forever.

Maybe that's why I can picture you running freely beneath rainbow skies, your tail wagging, your heart completely at ease.

The truth is, I miss you every day.

I miss the routines.

The walks.

The greetings.

The quiet moments no one else would understand.

But when the grief becomes heavy, I hold onto one comforting thought.

You knew you were loved.

You knew you were safe.

You knew you belonged.

And in the end, that's what every dog deserves.

A person who becomes their shelter.

Their comfort.

Their safe place.

So if you're reading this with tears in your eyes, wondering if you did enough for your beloved dog...

Remember this:

You didn't have to be perfect.

You just had to be there.

And if your dog looked at you with trust, rested peacefully beside you, and followed you with love in their eyes...

Then you already were what mattered most.

You were their safe place.

And that kind of love lasts forever. 🌈🐾❤️

Forever loved.

Forever protected.

Forever home.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster