I waited a second longer
I waited a second longer.
At the front door.
At the foot of the stairs.
Beside the car, with my hand still resting on the handle.
Because for one small, foolish moment… I thought you might still come.
I thought I might hear the quick tap of your paws behind me.
That familiar little rush.
The sound of your collar moving as you hurried to catch up, as if I could never go anywhere without you.
So I waited.
Just one second longer.
Long enough for hope to rise.
Long enough for the silence to answer.
There are so many moments like that now.
I pause before closing the back door because you used to stand there, deciding whether the weather was worth stepping into.
I leave a little space beside me on the couch.
I glance toward the hallway when the floor creaks at night.
Sometimes I still reach for your leash before my hand remembers what my heart refuses to accept.
Grief lives in those extra seconds.
The ones where the old life returns before the new reality catches up.
For a heartbeat, you are still here.
Still following me.
Still looking up at me with those patient eyes.
Still expecting to be included in every small journey, even if it was only a walk to the mailbox.
Then the moment passes.
And I am standing alone again.
People may not understand why I hesitate.
Why I cannot shut the door quickly.
Why I look back at an empty room as though someone precious has been left behind.
But you were always there.
Waiting for me.
Watching for me.
Making sure I never crossed a room, entered a car, or faced a difficult day by myself.
How could my heart stop expecting you?
It learned your rhythm too well.
It still counts your footsteps.
It still makes room.
It still waits.
Sometimes I wonder if, somewhere beyond the clouds, you do the same.
Maybe you pause at the edge of a sunlit meadow and look toward the Rainbow Bridge.
Maybe your ears lift when love calls your name.
Maybe you wait one second longer too, certain that one day I will appear.
And when I do, there will be no empty doorway between us.
No silence.
No last goodbye.
Only your paws running toward me and my arms opening before I can even speak.
Until then, I will forgive my heart for waiting.
Because it is not confused.
It is loyal.
It remembers a love that always came when called.
So yes…
I waited a second longer.
I probably always will.
Reacties
Een reactie posten