The silence spoke back
The silence spoke back.
Not with words.
Not with a voice I could hear.
But with something softer.
Something that found its way into the spaces grief had left behind.
After you were gone, silence became my least favorite thing.
The house felt too still.
Too quiet.
Too empty.
I missed the little sounds I never thought about before.
The click of your paws across the floor.
The shake of your collar.
The sigh you made when you finally settled into your favorite spot.
Those sounds had become part of the heartbeat of my home.
And when they disappeared, the silence felt unbearable.
I would walk from room to room looking for distractions.
The television stayed on longer.
Music filled spaces that never needed filling before.
Anything to keep from hearing the quiet.
Because the quiet reminded me of you.
Or maybe...
It reminded me that you were gone.
For a long time, I thought silence was the enemy.
A cruel reminder of what I had lost.
But grief has a strange way of changing us.
One evening, I sat alone as the sun slipped below the horizon.
The house was still.
No television.
No music.
No distractions.
Just me and the emptiness.
Or at least that's what I thought.
I looked toward the corner where your bed used to be.
And suddenly, memories began arriving.
Not painfully.
Not all at once.
Just gently.
Like old friends walking through an open door.
I remembered the way you'd greet me every morning.
The way you'd rest your head on my lap without asking for anything.
The way your eyes softened whenever I spoke your name.
The way your love filled every ordinary day with meaning.
And in that quiet moment, something unexpected happened.
The silence didn't feel empty anymore.
It felt full.
Full of memories.
Full of gratitude.
Full of love.
That's when I realized something.
The silence hadn't been trying to hurt me.
It had been waiting.
Waiting for me to stop running long enough to hear what remained.
Because love leaves echoes behind.
Not the kind you hear with your ears.
The kind you feel with your heart.
The kind that lingers in familiar rooms.
In favorite memories.
In the warmth that suddenly appears when you think of someone you miss.
The kind that whispers,
"I'm still part of you."
Now when the house grows quiet, I don't fear it the way I used to.
Sometimes I even welcome it.
Because silence has become a place where I meet you again.
Not in body.
Not in time.
But in memory.
In love.
In all the beautiful pieces of you that never truly left.
I imagine you now beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
Running freely through golden fields beneath endless skies.
Your tail wagging.
Your spirit shining.
Your heart as joyful as it always was.
And maybe, every now and then, when the world becomes still enough...
A little piece of that joy reaches me.
A little reminder carried on the quiet.
A little message from a soul I will always love.
So tonight, if the silence feels heavy...
Listen carefully.
You may discover what I did.
Sometimes silence isn't empty.
Sometimes it's where love speaks the loudest.
And somehow...
The silence spoke back.
Forever loved.
Forever remembered.
Forever heard in the quiet.
Reacties
Een reactie posten