I used to think that when someone leaves, they let go

 I used to think that when someone leaves, they let go.

That distance means separation.
That goodbye means the connection slowly fades with time.
But grief has taught me something different.
You are gone.
Yet somehow, you are still holding me.
There are mornings when I wake up carrying worries I cannot explain.
Days when life feels heavier than it should.
Moments when my heart aches for reasons I cannot name.
And then a memory of you appears.
So simple.
So unexpected.
The way you waited by the door.
The way your tail wagged when you heard my voice.
The way you looked at me as if I was the best thing that had ever happened to you.
And suddenly, the weight becomes a little easier to carry.
That's when I realize...
You are still holding me.
Not with paws.
Not with presence.
But with love.
The kind of love that doesn't end when a heartbeat does.
The kind that stays behind and wraps itself around the people who miss you most.
I still feel it sometimes.
In quiet rooms.
In familiar places.
In the gentle warmth of sunlight falling across the floor where you used to sleep.
The world calls those things memories.
But they feel like something more.
They feel like your love reaching across the distance.
Reminding me that what we shared was real.
Reminding me that bonds like ours do not simply disappear.
Because you didn't just walk beside me during your life.
You became part of me.
Part of the way I see the world.
Part of the way I love.
Part of the way I heal.
Sometimes I think that is the greatest gift a soul can leave behind.
Not possessions.
Not photographs.
Not even memories.
But a love so powerful that it continues helping someone long after you're gone.
As evening settles and the sky begins to glow with soft gold and silver stars, I imagine you beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
Running freely through endless meadows.
Your eyes bright.
Your spirit light.
Your heart at peace.
And even there, across all that distance, I imagine you still looking back toward me with the same devotion you always carried.
Still watching.
Still loving.
Still holding on.
Maybe that is why I can keep moving forward.
Not because I stopped missing you.
Not because the sadness disappeared.
But because your love became something I could carry with me.
Something that steadies me.
Something that comforts me.
Something that reminds me I was never alone.
You may be gone from my sight.
But your love still holds my heart together on the days when it wants to fall apart.
And perhaps that is the miracle of real love.
It leaves.
Yet it stays.
It disappears.
Yet it remains.
It is gone.
Yet still holding.
Forever loved.
Forever carried.
Forever holding me close.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster