Before I lost you

 Before I lost you, I never realized how many things in this world could feel uncertain.

Plans changed.
People changed.
Life changed.
Some days felt heavy before they even began.
But through all of it...
You were my safe place.
Not a house.
Not a room.
Not a destination.
You.
Somehow, the moment I looked into your eyes, the noise of the world seemed a little quieter.
The worries became smaller.
The fear lost some of its power.
And for a little while, everything felt okay.
You never asked what was wrong.
You never needed an explanation.
You simply came closer.
A gentle nudge of your nose.
A warm body pressed against my side.
A head resting on my lap.
And somehow, that was enough.
You were there during the days nobody knew I was struggling.
The nights when sleep wouldn't come.
The moments when I smiled for everyone else but felt exhausted inside.
You always knew.
Maybe not the details.
But you knew my heart.
And you stayed.
That's what made you different.
You stayed.
When I was happy.
When I was hurting.
When I was strong.
When I was falling apart.
You loved every version of me.
Without conditions.
Without expectations.
Without ever asking for anything except a little love in return.
Now the house feels different.
The world feels louder.
There are days when I still reach for the comfort that used to be waiting beside me.
Days when I miss the simple peace of resting my hand on your fur and knowing everything would somehow be okay.
Because you weren't just part of my life.
You were the place my heart went when it needed shelter.
The place where I felt accepted.
The place where I felt understood.
The place where I felt safe.
Sometimes, when evening settles over the world and the sky begins filling with stars, I close my eyes and imagine you beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
Resting in endless golden meadows.
Watching butterflies drift through warm sunlight.
Free from pain.
Free from worry.
Wrapped in the same peace you always gave to me.
And I wonder if perhaps that feeling hasn't truly left.
Maybe that's why certain memories still bring comfort instead of tears.
Maybe that's why dreams of you feel like coming home.
Maybe that's why, even now, when life becomes overwhelming, I find myself thinking of you.
Because a safe place doesn't disappear when someone leaves.
It becomes part of who you are.
You were my safe place then.
You are my safe place now.
And until the day I see you again, beyond the rainbow and beneath the stars, I will carry that feeling with me.
The feeling of being loved.
The feeling of being understood.
The feeling of being home.
Forever loved.
Forever missed.
Forever my safe place. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster