There are some kinds of safety the world cannot give you

 There are some kinds of safety the world cannot give you…

but a dog can.

You made me feel safe in ways I never knew how to explain to other people.
Not just physically.
Not just because you barked when someone came near the house.
You made my soul feel safe.

When anxiety wrapped around my chest at 2 a.m… you laid your head beside me like you somehow knew.
When the world felt cold and heavy, you followed me from room to room as if your only job on earth was making sure I never carried pain alone.
And maybe it was.

I still remember the sound of your paws moving across the floor toward me whenever I cried.
No hesitation.
No confusion.

Just love.
Pure love.
You never asked me to pretend I was okay.
You never judged the messy parts of me.
You sat beside my sadness like it deserved compassion instead of fixing.
That kind of love changes a person forever.
Now the house feels different.

The silence feels bigger.
The nights feel longer.
Sometimes I still wake up expecting to feel your warm body curled beside the bed.
Sometimes my hand still reaches down automatically…
searching for fur that is no longer there.
And that pain is almost impossible to describe to people who have never loved a dog deeply.
Because losing you was not losing an animal.

It was losing comfort.
Routine.
Home.

You were my safe place with paws.
But every now and then… usually in the quietest moments… I feel something gentle around me.
A warmth.
A calm.
Like your spirit still circles back to check on me.

Maybe that’s what the Rainbow Bridge really is.

Not a goodbye forever…

but a place where love waits safely until we find each other again.
So if heaven exists, I know exactly what it will feel like the moment I arrive.
I will hear paws running toward me.
And for the first time since losing you…
I will feel safe again. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster