It caught me by surprise
It caught me by surprise.
Not the sadness. I've learned to expect that. It was something softer, quieter, and somehow even more powerful. It arrived in the middle of an ordinary day and stopped me in my tracks.I was walking through the house when I felt it.
For a brief moment, it seemed like you were still here. Not because I saw you or heard your paws on the floor. It was simply a feeling. Familiar. Comforting. The exact feeling I used to have whenever I knew you were nearby.
And I recognized it instantly.
Some bonds become so much a part of us that they never truly leave. They settle deep within our hearts and stay there. Long after the leash is put away. Long after the bed sits empty. Long after the world expects us to have moved on.
For a while, I tried to explain it away.
I told myself it was just memory. Just wishful thinking. Just another trick grief plays on a heart that misses someone dearly. But the feeling kept returning, always bringing the same quiet comfort with it.
It would appear during the smallest moments.
While sitting in the morning sunlight with a cup of coffee. While folding laundry on a peaceful afternoon. While watching the stars through the window before bed. Suddenly, I would feel less alone than I had a moment before.
And every time, I recognized it.
It was the same feeling you gave me throughout your life. The feeling that no matter what kind of day I was having, I wasn't facing it by myself. The feeling of unconditional love quietly standing beside me without asking for anything in return.
Maybe that's why love is stronger than loss.
Because even when we can no longer touch the ones we miss, the connection remains. It continues in ways that don't always make sense. Through memories. Through dreams. Through moments of comfort that arrive without warning and leave us feeling understood.
I like to believe those moments mean something.
I like to believe that somewhere beyond the Rainbow Bridge, your spirit is still close enough to send a little piece of comfort when I need it most. Not to erase the grief, but to remind me that love didn't end when our time together did.
The truth is, I still miss you every day.
There are still empty spaces. Still tears. Still moments when I wish I could hold you one more time. But there are also moments when a familiar warmth settles over my heart, and for a little while, the distance between us doesn't feel quite so far.
A feeling I recognized.
A feeling I knew by heart.
A feeling that reminded me that some loves never truly leave us.
They simply find new ways to stay.
Reacties
Een reactie posten