I thought the hardest part would be watching you leave
I thought the hardest part would be watching you leave…
but it wasn’t.The hardest part was realizing how loud your absence became afterward.
Your leaving stayed everywhere.
In the mornings when the house no longer wakes up with the sound of paws rushing across the floor.
In the quiet kitchen where no one waits hopefully beside the fridge anymore.
In the empty space near the window where sunlight still falls exactly where you used to sleep.
Grief is strange like that.
It turns ordinary moments into heartbreak without warning.
Yesterday I dropped a piece of chicken while cooking dinner…
and for one tiny second, my heart expected you to come running.
That second destroyed me.
Because love builds habits so deep into the soul that even after goodbye, the body still believes they are near.
I still talk to you sometimes.
Little things.
“I’m home.”
“Move over, buddy.”
“Goodnight.”
Then the silence answers back.
And somehow silence can feel heavier than words ever could.
People say time softens grief.
Maybe.
But I think what really happens is we slowly learn how to carry the echo of someone we cannot stop loving.
Because your leaving did not take everything.
Your fur may no longer cling to my clothes.
Your collar may no longer jingle through the hallway.
But your love…
your love stayed loud.
It stayed in my routines.
In my memories.
In every corner of this home that still remembers you.
Sometimes late at night, I sit beneath the stars and imagine you somewhere peaceful beyond the clouds.
Running through endless fields.
Young again.
Free again.
And maybe every time the wind brushes softly past me…
every time I dream of you…
every time my heart suddenly feels warm for no reason at all…
that is your soul reminding me:
“I didn’t leave love behind.
I left it with you.”
So yes…
your goodbye broke me.
But your love still speaks louder than your absence ever will.
Reacties
Een reactie posten