Your collar still hangs where you left it
Your collar still hangs where you left it.
I passed by it again today without even thinking, and my hand almost reached for it like we were about to go outside. For one tiny second, my heart did that cruel thing it does now… it forgot. It believed there would be nails clicking on the floor, a happy little spin by the door, that familiar look on your face like the walk was the most important thing in the world.But the house stayed quiet.
And there it was… your collar, hanging in the same spot, as if you might come back for it.
I don’t know why I can’t move it.
Maybe because taking it down feels too final. Maybe because that little worn piece of you still looks like it belongs to a living routine. Like the day is still waiting for you. Like if I leave it there long enough, this will all turn out to be some terrible mistake and I’ll hear you coming down the hallway again.
I can still picture exactly how you used to stand at the door.
So alert. So hopeful. Tail moving before I even touched the leash. Your whole body had a way of making ordinary moments feel important. A walk around the block wasn’t just a walk to you. It was joy. It was adventure. It was time with me. And somehow, without ever saying a word, you made me feel like I was someone worth following.
Now that little hook by the door feels sacred.
Your collar hangs there with all the quiet weight of what used to be normal. The soft sound it made, the way it rested against your neck, the little tag that used to jingle when you moved around the house… all of it lives inside that one small object. It’s just a collar to anyone else, I guess.
But to me, it still holds the shape of your life.
There are days I stand in front of it longer than I want to admit.
Sometimes I touch it.
Sometimes I press it to my chest.
Sometimes I whisper that I miss you, because grief has made me the kind of person who talks to a collar hanging by a door and hopes love can still hear me.
And honestly… maybe it can.
Maybe that’s why I still leave it there.
Not because I’m stuck, but because love is still here. Because you mattered here. Because this was your home too, and that little spot by the door still tells the truth: you were here, you were loved, and you were part of every ordinary day that now feels too quiet without you.
One day, maybe my hands will be ready to move it.
But not today.
Today it stays where you left it, my sweet boy… and somehow that feels like the closest thing I have to holding onto you until we find each other again.
Reacties
Een reactie posten