I still fill your bowl

 I still fill your bowl. I don't even think about it — my hands just do it. Because some habits are built from love, and love doesn't get the memo when everything changes.

I still hesitate at the front door. Still listen for the sound of you coming. But the house just holds its breath now, the way I do.

You were never "just a dog" to anyone who knew what we had. You were the exhale at the end of a hard day. The one who asked for nothing and somehow gave everything. The warmth that made this place feel like home.

We didn't get enough time. We never would have — no matter how many years we'd been given. There were still mornings to sleep through together, still roads we hadn't walked, still quiet evenings I wanted with your weight against my side.

I hold your leash sometimes. Not going anywhere. Just holding it. Because it still feels like a thread between us — and I'm not ready to let go of the other end.

I love you in the present tense. I always will.

You're not here where I can reach you. But you're not gone from me either — not from the deep, permanent parts of me that you shaped.

And when my turn comes, I believe it with everything I have — you'll be there. Bright-eyed. Tail going. Like no time passed at all.

Until then, run easy, my heart. šŸ¾ Every part of me is still yours. Always. šŸŒˆšŸ’”

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster