The silence spoke back
The silence spoke back.
At first, I thought it was just empty.Just the kind of quiet that follows loss… the kind that presses against the walls and refuses to leave.
But over time…
I started to notice something different.
The silence wasn’t empty.
It was remembering you.
It spoke in the small hours of the morning when I woke up and reached instinctively toward the space where you used to sleep.
It spoke in the kitchen when I poured water in two bowls without thinking… then paused with a shaking hand.
It spoke in the doorway when I still turned my head expecting the sound of your nails tapping against the floor.
At first, I tried to escape it.
I filled the house with noise.
Music.
Television.
Anything to drown out the quiet.
But the silence always returned.
Patient.
Still.
Waiting.
And slowly… I stopped running from it.
Because I realized something heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time.
The silence wasn’t absence.
It was presence in a different form.
It held your memory like the air holds sunlight after the sun has gone down.
I began to sit with it.
Not because it hurt less…
But because it hurt honestly.
And in that honesty, I started to feel you differently.
Not as something lost…
But as something carried.
In the way my heart still pauses at your favorite spots in the house.
In the way my hands remember your shape when nothing is there to hold.
In the way I still whisper your name when no one else is listening.
The silence began to change.
It wasn’t cold anymore.
It became soft.
Familiar.
Almost like you were listening from somewhere just beyond what I can reach.
I don’t know how to explain it properly…
But sometimes, when everything is still…
It feels like the silence answers back.
Not with words.
But with warmth.
With memory.
With love that refuses to disappear just because the world has gone quiet.
And maybe that’s what grief really is.
Not the absence of sound…
But the presence of everything that once made the sound meaningful.
Now, when the house is quiet…
I don’t feel alone in it the way I used to.
I feel you in it.
Not gone.
Not far.
Just… changed.
And still here, in the only way love ever really knows how to stay.
Reacties
Een reactie posten