You Were My Safe Place

 You Were My Safe Place

I never realized how much of my peace lived in you…

until the day I had to learn how to find it without you beside me.

You were never just the dog waiting at home.

You were the place I went when the world felt too heavy.

The quiet corner of my life where nothing needed to be explained.

I could walk through the door after the hardest day…

and there you were.

Tail wagging.

Eyes full of love.

Ready to remind me that I was still someone worth being happy for.

You never asked me what happened.

You never needed the details.

You just knew.

You knew when I needed a little more time.

You knew when I needed your head resting against my hand.

You knew when silence was the only thing I could handle.

Somehow, your presence made the world feel less frightening.

Like everything outside those walls could wait.

Because for a little while…

I was home.

With you.

I miss that more than I can explain.

I miss the sound of your paws coming toward me.

I miss the warmth of your fur beneath my fingers.

I miss the way your eyes looked at me like I was the most important person in the world.

I miss having a place where my heart could finally rest.

After you left…

I searched for that feeling everywhere.

In old routines.

In familiar places.

In memories I replayed over and over.

And slowly…

I discovered something I didn’t expect.

You didn’t take my safe place with you.

You left it behind.

You built it inside me.

Every gentle thing you taught me stayed.

The patience.

The kindness.

The ability to love without fear.

The courage to keep going even when something precious is missing.

Those things came from you.

And they are still protecting me.

I like to imagine you now somewhere beyond the clouds.

Somewhere your body feels young again.

Somewhere your paws run freely across endless fields.

Somewhere a beautiful Rainbow Bridge glows beneath a sky full of stars.

No fear.

No pain.

No loneliness.

Only peace.

And maybe, when the night gets quiet and I miss you the most…

you send a little piece of that peace back to me.

A gentle feeling.

A warm memory.

A reminder that the love we shared was never meant to disappear.

You were my safe place once.

And somehow…

you still are.

Because the safest places are not always places we can return to.

Sometimes…

they are the souls that forever live inside our hearts.

Until we meet again.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster