The last walks were different

 The last walks were different…

I remember that now.
Not because they meant less.
But because they meant more.
Every step seemed precious.
Every pause felt important.
Every slow movement carried a story neither of us wanted to say out loud.
I used to watch you carefully.
The way you hesitated before standing.
The way you measured the distance ahead.
The way your brave heart kept trying, even when your body was asking for rest.
And somehow…
you still wanted to come with me.
Still wanted to be part of the day.
Still wanted to stay close.
Even when it was hard.
Especially when it was hard.
There were moments I wished I could carry the weight for you.
Take the ache from your legs.
Borrow the tiredness from your bones.
Give you back all the effortless days that time had slowly taken away.
But love cannot stop time.
It can only walk beside it.
So I walked beside you.
One step at a time.
One precious day at a time.
And when the day came that I had to let you go…
a part of me worried.
I worried about where you would go.
Whether you would be scared.
Whether you would feel alone.
But those fears have softened now.
Because when I close my eyes, I don't see your struggle anymore.
I see freedom.
I see you running through tall grass that bends beneath your paws.
I see sunlight dancing across endless meadows.
I see a sky so gentle it never brings storms.
And I see you moving without effort.
Without hesitation.
Without pain.
You walk where it's easy now.
No stiff joints.
No weary breaths.
No hills that feel too steep.
No mornings where standing takes courage.
Just open fields.
Soft clouds.
Golden light stretching farther than the eye can see.
I imagine your tail wagging the way it used to when happiness overflowed from you.
I imagine you chasing butterflies, following the breeze, exploring every corner of Heaven with the same curiosity that made me smile a thousand times here.
And somehow, that image brings peace.
Because the hardest thing about loving you was watching you struggle.
The sweetest thing now is believing you don't have to anymore.
So when I miss you—and I do, every single day—I try to remember this truth:
I may walk through grief.
But you walk through peace.
I may carry the ache of missing you.
But you carry none of the pain you left behind.
You walk where it's easy.
Where every path is gentle.
Where every step feels light.
And where love waits patiently for the day our journeys meet again.
Until then, my beautiful friend…
Run when you want to.
Rest when you want to.
Follow the sunshine.
Chase the wind.
And know that every step I take here still carries a piece of you. šŸŒˆšŸ¾

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster