Before I lost you

 Before I lost you, I never realized how rare peace truly was.

I thought peace was a place.
A quiet room.
A vacation.
A moment when nothing was wrong.
But after you left, I understood something that broke my heart.
Peace had never been a place.
Peace had been you.
It was the sound of your gentle breathing from across the room.
The soft thump of your tail against the floor when I walked in.
The way your eyes followed me with complete trust, as if the world was exactly as it should be because we were in it together.
I didn't notice it while I had you.
That's the painful truth.
Your comfort became part of the air I breathed.
Part of the rhythm of ordinary days.
Part of life itself.
Then one day, it was gone.
And suddenly I could feel the space where your peace used to live.
The house was still standing.
The furniture hadn't moved.
The clocks still ticked.
But something sacred had left the room.
I remember sitting alone one evening after you were gone.
The sun was fading.
The shadows were growing longer.
And for the first time, I noticed how much noise existed inside my own heart.
Worries.
Fear.
Sadness.
All the things your presence used to quiet without even trying.
You never solved my problems.
You never needed to.
You simply sat beside me.
Rested your head near my feet.
Curled up against my leg.
And somehow the world became softer.
Safer.
More manageable.
That was your gift.
Not excitement.
Not adventure.
Peace.
The kind that arrives without asking.
The kind that settles gently over a tired soul.
Even now, years or months later, I still search for that feeling.
And every once in a while, I find it.
Not completely.
Not the way it used to be.
But enough.
A breeze through an open window.
A dream where you're healthy again.
A sudden memory that wraps around me like a warm blanket.
In those moments, I feel you.
Not as loss.
Not as grief.
But as peace returning for a visit.
And I imagine you beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
Resting beneath endless skies.
Running through golden meadows where every step is light and every breath is easy.
No pain.
No fear.
Only joy.
Only love.
Only peace.
The same peace you spent your whole life giving to me.
Maybe that's why I still feel connected to you.
Because peace leaves a mark.
And you left yours on every part of my heart.
So when the world feels heavy now, I close my eyes and think of you.
And for a moment...
the noise fades.
The ache softens.
The air becomes gentle again.
And I remember that some souls never stop comforting us.
Even after they grow wings and follow the rainbow home. šŸŒˆšŸ¾

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster