I knew it the moment I opened my eyes

 I knew it the moment I opened my eyes.

Before I looked at the calendar.
Before I checked the date.
Before I even got out of bed.
Today felt different again.
The air carried it.
My heart knew it.
Somewhere deep inside me, a quiet ache had already awakened.
Because this day belongs to you.
Maybe it's your birthday.
Maybe it's the day we met.
Maybe it's the day you left.
The reason almost doesn't matter anymore.
What matters is that this date still knows your name.
And every year, when it returns, it gently touches the part of my heart that never stopped loving you.
I try to move through the day normally.
I make coffee.
I answer messages.
I go where I need to go.
But underneath everything...
there you are.
Like a soft song playing beneath the noise of life.
I find myself remembering things I haven't thought about in months.
The way your ears perked up when you heard the treat bag.
The sound of your paws hurrying across the floor to meet me at the door.
The way you would look at me as if I was the best thing that had ever happened to you.
And somehow, even after all this time, those memories still feel alive.
I think that's why special days can hurt so much.
Not because love faded.
But because it didn't.
The bond stayed.
The calendar simply reminds us.
There was a time when these dates felt impossible.
I would spend days dreading their arrival.
Wondering how I could survive another year without you.
But grief changes.
Not because we stop missing them.
Because we learn how to carry them differently.
Now, when this day comes around, I don't just feel sadness.
I feel gratitude.
For every muddy pawprint.
Every walk.
Every cuddle on the couch.
Every ordinary moment that became extraordinary because you were there.
And as evening settles in, I light a candle for you. šŸ•Æ
Its small flame flickers in the quiet room.
And for a moment, it feels like a conversation.
A reminder that love doesn't end when a heartbeat does.
It simply learns how to exist across distance.
I imagine you now beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
Healthy.
Joyful.
Wrapped in golden light.
Maybe chasing butterflies through endless meadows.
Maybe resting beneath a sky full of stars.
Maybe looking back toward me with the same loving eyes I knew so well.
And if you are...
I hope you know this.
Today feels different because you mattered.
Because you still matter.
Because a soul like yours doesn't disappear when it leaves this world.
It becomes part of the days that follow.
Part of the seasons.
Part of the person left behind.
So yes...
Today feels different again.
A little heavier.
A little softer.
A little more beautiful.
Because it carries the memory of you.
And that is something I will always honor.
Until the day I see you again, beyond the rainbow, where no special day will ever have to end. šŸŒˆšŸ¾ 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster