I used to imagine rest as something simple

 I used to imagine rest as something simple.

A nap.
A quiet room.
A pause between busy days.
But I didn’t understand what rest really meant… until I had to imagine you without the weight of this world.
Now, when I think of you, I don’t picture struggle.
I don’t picture effort.
I don’t picture the tiredness that sometimes came with age, or the way you would slow down and lean into me a little more on certain days.
Now I only see calm.
Endless calm.
The kind that doesn’t end when the room gets quiet.
The kind that doesn’t need comfort because it already is comfort.
There are moments I still forget.
For a second.
A heartbeat.
I think you’re just in the other room.
I think I’ll hear your paws again.
I think I’ll see you round the corner like you always did.
And then reality gently returns.
Soft.
But firm.
You are not here.
Not in the way I can reach anymore.
But somehow…
you are still near.
Not as absence.
But as something softer than memory.
Something like peace that learned your shape and never forgot it.
I think about where you are now.
Beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
Where nothing hurts anymore.
Where no body feels heavy.
Where no breath feels difficult.
And I like to believe that rest there is not like sleep here.
Not temporary.
Not fragile.
But complete.
Unbroken.
Infinite.
Like lying down in a meadow that never turns cold.
Under a sky that never forgets your name.
And maybe that is what you became.
Not gone.
Not lost.
But returned to a kind of calm this world can only hint at.
Here, I still feel you in quiet ways.
In the softening of a difficult moment.
In the sudden stillness of my thoughts when I remember your eyes.
In the way grief sometimes turns gentle instead of sharp.
As if even my sorrow has learned to rest beside you.
And I realize something slowly…
You are not struggling anywhere anymore.
You are not waiting.
You are not hurting.
You are resting in a way I can only imagine.
And that thought…
even through the ache…
brings a strange kind of peace.
Because love like yours was never meant to end in exhaustion.
Only in rest.
Endless.
Gentle.
Whole.
And somewhere beyond everything I can see…
I hope you are sleeping in light that never fades…
waiting not in longing…
but in calm. šŸŒˆšŸ¾

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster