Your absence arrived loud

 Your absence arrived loud...

Not because you made noise when you were here...
But because every quiet corner suddenly remembered you.

I never realized how many little sounds belonged to you until they disappeared.

The soft tap of your paws following me from room to room.

The gentle sigh you made before falling asleep beside my chair.

The tiny shake of your collar that somehow made the whole house feel alive.

Now the silence doesn't simply exist.

It echoes.

Sometimes I still catch myself listening.

Not for anything important...
Just for you.

I'll stand in the kitchen for a second longer, almost expecting to hear you padding across the floor because you somehow always knew when I was opening the refrigerator.

I still step carefully around the place where your bed used to be.

My heart remembers even when my eyes know it's empty.

Your favorite toy is still tucked beneath the couch.

I couldn't bring myself to move it.

It feels like touching it would admit something my soul still refuses to believe.

People say time softens grief.

Maybe.

But what time really does is teach you how to carry someone you can no longer hold.

I carry you in every quiet morning.

In every sunset that makes the sky glow just a little longer than it should.

In every walk where my hand still reaches for a leash that isn't there.

Sometimes, late at night, I close my eyes and imagine the sound of you running again.

Not here...

Somewhere beyond my tears.

Across green meadows where your legs never ache.

Across soft grass kissed by golden light.

Where every bark is joyful.

Where every breath is easy.

Where the Rainbow Bridge stretches gently beneath your happy paws.

I like to believe you still hear my voice.

Maybe the wind carries it.

Maybe every whispered "I miss you" becomes a warm breeze that brushes through your fur.

And maybe...

Just maybe...

When the house grows impossibly quiet, it isn't because you've gone.

It's because love has become something I can no longer hear...

Only feel.

One day the silence between us will disappear.

I'll hear your paws again.

I'll feel your joyful leap against my heart.

And this unbearable absence will finally become the sweetest reunion.

Until then...

I will keep loving you in every quiet moment.

Because love never learned how to leave.

It simply learned how to wait.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster