The hardest part of loving you is
The hardest part of loving you is trying to explain what happened after you left.
Because yes...I lost you.
I lost the sound of your paws crossing the floor.
I lost the way you greeted me at the door as if I had been gone for years instead of minutes.
I lost the warmth of your body curled beside me on quiet nights.
I lost the daily routines that once felt so ordinary and now feel priceless.
I lost all of that.
And yet...
I kept you.
Not in the way I wanted.
Not in the way my heart still wishes for.
But in a thousand other ways.
I kept your favorite nickname.
I still whisper it sometimes when no one is around.
I kept the stories.
The funny ones that still make me laugh.
The sweet ones that still bring tears to my eyes.
The little memories that nobody else would understand because they belonged only to us.
I kept the lessons you taught me.
How to be present.
How to find joy in simple things.
How to greet each day with excitement.
How to love without conditions and forgive without hesitation.
You gave me those gifts, and they stayed.
I kept pieces of you hidden throughout my life.
In photographs tucked into drawers.
In old videos I cannot watch without smiling and crying at the same time.
In the worn toy I couldn't bring myself to throw away.
In the collar that no longer jingles but still feels alive whenever I hold it.
Sometimes grief convinces us that loss means emptiness.
But love tells a different story.
Love says that people and pets who truly change us never leave empty spaces behind.
They leave pieces of themselves everywhere.
A habit.
A memory.
A feeling.
A way of seeing the world.
And suddenly we realize they are still shaping our lives long after they are gone.
Some evenings, when the sky begins to glow with soft gold and the first stars appear overhead, I imagine you beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
Running through fields brighter than any we ever walked together.
Chasing butterflies carried by warm heavenly breezes.
Resting beneath trees that never lose their leaves.
Free from pain.
Free from fear.
Wrapped in the same love you gave so freely here.
And I like to think that when you look back toward me, you know something important.
You know that although I lost your presence, I never lost your place in my heart.
That place remains untouched.
Safe.
Sacred.
Forever yours.
Because grief and love often live side by side.
One reminds us that someone is gone.
The other reminds us they mattered.
And you mattered more than words could ever explain.
So yes...
I lost you.
But somehow, in all the ways that truly count...
I kept you.
I kept your love.
I kept your pawprints.
I kept your memory.
And I will carry them with me until the day we meet again beneath the colors of the Rainbow Bridge.
Reacties
Een reactie posten