Everyone else calls it an ordinary day now

 Everyone else calls it an ordinary day now.

The calendar moved forward.
The seasons changed.
Life kept asking me to keep going.
But your day never left me.
It still lives quietly inside my heart.
I remember every detail.
The way the air felt.
The sound of my voice trying to stay steady.
The weight of your paw resting in my hand.
The moment I realized I was about to say goodbye to someone who had never once left my side.
I thought time would carry that day farther away.
Instead, it carries it with me.
Not every second.
Not every hour.
But in small, unexpected moments.
A familiar smell.
A photograph I wasn't looking for.
A song playing in the background.
Suddenly, I'm standing there again.
Remembering.
Missing you.
Loving you.
There are days when I smile while thinking about you.
Days when the memories feel warm instead of painful.
Days when I can laugh about your silly habits and hear your happy bark in my mind.
But then there are days when my heart quietly returns to that final chapter.
The chapter I never wanted to write.
Because no matter how much love filled our years together, goodbye always feels too short.
No amount of extra walks would have been enough.
No amount of cuddles.
No amount of "I love you."
When love is real, there is never enough time.
Sometimes I wonder if you remember that day differently.
Maybe from where you are now, beyond the Rainbow Bridge, it doesn't feel like a day of loss at all.
Maybe you remember it as the day pain left your body.
The day your tired legs became strong again.
The day you ran freely through endless meadows beneath golden skies.
The day angels greeted you with gentle hands and familiar voices.
The day you discovered that heaven has tennis balls that never get lost and sunny fields that never end.
And maybe, just maybe...
The day you realized that even death could not break the bond we built together.
Because while that day changed everything for me, it didn't erase you.
It couldn't.
You still appear in the stories I tell.
In the lessons you taught me.
In the love you left behind.
You still live in every pawprint pressed upon my soul.
Some people think grief fades because memories disappear.
But I think the opposite is true.
Grief changes because love learns how to carry the memories differently.
The tears become gratitude.
The ache becomes remembrance.
The goodbye becomes a promise.
And that promise is simple.
I will carry your day with me for the rest of my life.
Not because it was the day I lost you.
But because it was the day I learned how deeply one heart can love another.
Your day never left me.
Neither did you.
You simply moved from beside me...
To within me.
Forever loved.
Forever remembered.
Forever home. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster