I’m moving without letting go
I’m moving without letting go.
That is the part nobody tells you about grief.Healing does not mean I stopped loving you.
It does not mean your name hurts less because it matters less.
It only means I am learning how to carry the love without letting the sorrow pull me under every day.
At first, even standing up felt wrong.
The house was still.
Your bed was empty.
Your leash hung by the door like a question I could not answer.
I remember walking past your bowl and feeling as though the whole room had forgotten how to breathe.
Everything kept moving around me.
Morning came.
Cars passed outside.
People laughed.
But inside me, time had stopped at the moment you left.
For a while, I thought moving forward would be a betrayal.
How could I smile when you were not here to see it?
How could I take another walk without hearing your paws beside mine?
How could I let the sunlight feel warm again when the place where you used to lie was empty?
So I stayed close to the pain because the pain felt close to you.
But slowly…
almost too quietly to notice…
something began to change.
I spoke your name and did not fall apart every time.
I looked at your photograph and felt gratitude beside the ache.
I found one of your toys under the couch and held it to my chest, crying and smiling at once.
That is what healing looks like for me now.
Not forgetting.
Not replacing.
Not closing the door.
It is learning that love can remain even when life begins to move again.
I still carry you.
In the way I notice dogs leaning into their people.
In the way I pause when I hear a collar jingle nearby.
In the softness I have for old animals, tired eyes, and gray faces.
In the part of me that learned unconditional love because you gave it so freely.
Some days, I take only one small step.
Some days, grief finds me again and I sit with it like an old visitor.
But I no longer believe that healing leaves you behind.
I think it brings you with me in a gentler way.
You are not only the goodbye.
You are every morning you woke me.
Every walk we took.
Every quiet night your breathing filled the room.
Every piece of my heart you made kinder.
So yes, I am moving.
Slowly.
Unevenly.
With tears still waiting close beneath the surface.
But I am not letting go.
I am carrying you forward…
toward every sunrise, every new road, and every beautiful moment you taught me to notice.
Reacties
Een reactie posten