You didn’t leave in a dramatic way

 You didn’t leave in a dramatic way…

You left the way love always does.
Quietly.
Bravely.
After giving everything you had.
I keep thinking about that last stretch of time.
How you tried to stay close to me even when your body felt heavy.
How you still followed me from room to room, like your heart refused to let go of me first.
Even then… you were still caring for me.
Still choosing me.
And I wonder if you knew.
That I saw it.
That I felt it.
That I understood what you were doing without you ever needing to say a word.
Because love like yours doesn’t disappear all at once.
It slowly gives everything it has until there’s nothing left to give.
That’s what you did.
You didn’t abandon me.
You didn’t walk away.
You stayed until staying became too hard.
And even then, I think a part of you never really left.
Sometimes I still feel it.
In the quiet moments when the house is still.
In the space beside me that still feels warm in memory.
In the way my heart reacts before my mind can explain anything.
Grief tries to tell me you’re gone.
But love keeps pointing to all the ways you’re still here.
Not in body.
But in everything you changed inside me.
You taught me how to love without conditions.
How to show up without hesitation.
How to stay close even when words are not enough.
And in your final chapter, you taught me something even deeper…
How love lets go.
Not because it wants to.
But because it must.
And even that goodbye wasn’t an ending.
It was love doing what love does best.
Turning presence into memory.
Turning touch into feeling.
Turning a life shared into something that can never be taken away.
So now, when I miss you the most, I don’t only feel the loss.
I feel gratitude.
For every walk.
Every waiting by the door.
Every quiet night when you chose to stay beside me instead of anywhere else in the world.
You didn’t just live with me.
You loved me.
Completely.
And in the end…
You did what love does.
You stayed as long as you could.
And then you carried that love beyond where I can follow for now.
But I will.
One day.
And when I do…
I know you’ll recognize me instantly.
Because love like yours doesn’t forget.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster