The leash still hangs by the door
The leash still hangs by the door.
I pass it every day.Sometimes without thinking.
Sometimes with a heart so heavy I have to stop and stare.
It's strange how one simple thing can hold an entire lifetime of love.
You used to hear me touch it and come running.
Before I could even say the word "walk," you already knew.
Your tail would thump against the wall.
Your paws would dance across the floor.
And your eyes...
Oh, those beautiful eyes.
They looked at me like I was the greatest thing in the world.
Now the leash hangs there in silence.
Waiting.
Just like I am.
The house feels different without you.
The mornings are quieter.
The evenings are longer.
Even the air feels still.
Sometimes I catch myself listening for the sound of your paws.
The little click of your nails on the floor.
The happy excitement when I grabbed my keys.
For a moment, my heart believes you'll come running again.
Then reality settles in.
And the silence returns.
People ask why I haven't taken the leash down.
I smile and tell them I will someday.
But the truth is...
I'm not ready.
Because taking it down feels like admitting something my heart refuses to believe.
You were never just a dog.
You were family.
You were comfort on my hardest days.
You were joy when life felt heavy.
You were the friend who never judged me, never left my side, and never stopped loving me.
That leash isn't hanging there because I'm holding on to grief.
It's hanging there because I'm holding on to love.
And love doesn't disappear.
Not when a body grows tired.
Not when a final breath is taken.
Not even when tears fill our eyes.
Love finds new places to live.
In memories.
In dreams.
In the quiet moments when I feel you near.
Sometimes when the evening sun pours through the window, I imagine you running across endless green meadows beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
Free from pain.
Free from age.
Free from every earthly burden.
I imagine your tail wagging as you wait.
Patient.
Faithful.
Certain that one day we'll walk together again.
So for now, the leash stays where it is.
A small reminder of a very big love.
A promise hanging by the door.
A promise that this goodbye is not forever.
And when the day comes that we meet again beneath the rainbow sky, I'll reach for that leash one last time.
And this time...
you'll be waiting at the other end.
Reacties
Een reactie posten