Last night, for just a second

 Last night, for just a second...

I forgot you were gone.
I heard a sound in the hallway and looked up automatically.
My heart reacted before my mind could.
For one tiny, beautiful moment, I expected to see you there.
Tail wagging.
Eyes shining.
Coming to find me like you always did.
But the hallway stayed empty.
And reality quietly returned.
The strange thing about grief is how it hides in ordinary moments.
A shadow crossing the floor.
The creak of a familiar step.
The feeling that someone is standing beside you when no one is there.
And every once in a while, something happens that feels so familiar, so deeply connected to the life we shared, that it stops you in your tracks.
You know it isn't really the sound of paws.
You know the bed didn't actually move.
You know the collar hanging by the door didn't jingle.
Yet your heart recognizes something.
Something warm.
Something known.
Something that belongs to them.
I've spent a long time wondering why.
Maybe it's because love leaves fingerprints on everything it touches.
On rooms.
On routines.
On quiet evenings.
On the very air inside a home.
When a dog has loved you with their whole heart, their presence becomes woven into your life so completely that even after they're gone, pieces of them remain everywhere.
In the places they slept.
In the paths they walked.
In the memories waiting patiently around every corner.
And sometimes those memories arrive so gently, so unexpectedly, that they don't feel like memories at all.
They feel like visits.
Little echoes of a bond that refuses to fade.
Maybe that's why certain moments make us stop and whisper,
"That felt too familiar."
Not because we're imagining things.
But because love remembers.
Love recognizes.
Love reaches across impossible distances.
So when something reminds you of them so strongly that your heart skips a beat...
Don't rush to explain it away.
Just let yourself feel it.
Let yourself smile.
Let yourself believe that a connection built from years of loyalty, comfort, and unconditional love doesn't disappear overnight.
Because somewhere beyond the clouds, beyond the stars, beyond the Rainbow Bridge, I like to think our dogs still find small ways to brush against our hearts.
Just enough to say,
"I know you felt that.
I felt it too."
And suddenly, the familiar feeling doesn't hurt quite as much.
It feels like home. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster