I still have your messages

 I still have your messages.

Not the kind saved in a phone...
The kind saved in a heart.
Sometimes grief makes me believe the conversation ended the day you left.
The day I kissed your head one last time.
The day your tired eyes slowly closed.
The day the room became unbearably quiet.
But then something happens.
I find one of your toys under the couch.
A single strand of fur caught in a blanket.
A pawprint photo tucked inside a drawer.
And suddenly, it feels like you've said something again.
Not with words.
But with love.
Because that was always your language.
You told me "I love you" every time you waited by the door.
Every time your tail wagged like I was the most important person in the world.
Every time you rested your head against my chest and trusted me with your whole heart.
I understand those messages now more than ever.
The strange thing about losing a dog is that the conversation changes...
It doesn't end.
I still talk to you.
Sometimes while driving.
Sometimes while washing dishes.
Sometimes through tears in the middle of the night.
And somehow...
I think you answer.
Not with barking.
Not with pawsteps.
But through little moments that arrive exactly when I need them.
A feather drifting across my path.
A rainbow appearing after days of rain.
A dream so real that I wake up smiling instead of crying.
Tiny reminders.
Little love notes from a soul I cannot see.
The world calls them coincidences.
My heart calls them messages.
Because the bond we shared was never built on words.
It was built on devotion.
On trust.
On countless ordinary moments that became extraordinary simply because we shared them together.
And love like that doesn't suddenly become silent.
It finds new ways to speak.
So when I miss you, I remind myself of something beautiful.
The final goodbye was never the final message.
You are still telling me you love me.
In the stars that catch my attention.
In the memories that arrive unexpectedly.
In the warmth that fills the room when I say your name.
And one day, when my journey is finished too, I believe I'll hear the message clearly again.
Not in signs.
Not in dreams.
But face to face.
Tail wagging.
Eyes shining.
Running toward me across a meadow beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
And the first thing you'll say won't need words at all.
It will be the same message you've been sending since the day we met.
"I'm still here.
And I still love you."
Forever connected.
Forever heard.
Forever loved.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster