The hardest part isn't falling asleep.
The hardest part isn't falling asleep...
It's waking up and seeing that empty space beside me.The space that used to belong to you.
I still save it.
Every single night.
Some people might not understand why.
But they never felt the comfort of a warm body curled against their legs after a long day.
They never heard the gentle sigh you made before drifting off to sleep.
They never knew what it felt like to have a best friend who asked for nothing except to be close.
The house is different now.
The silence feels bigger.
The hallway doesn't echo with the sound of your paws anymore.
Your water bowl sits untouched.
Your favorite toy is still tucked beneath the couch, exactly where you left it.
But nowhere feels emptier than the bed.
That was our place.
The place where mornings began with sleepy tail wags.
The place where tears were quietly licked away.
The place where I never had to explain myself because somehow, you always understood.
Sometimes, late at night, I reach my hand toward your side without thinking.
For a split second, my heart expects to feel your fur.
To feel your warmth.
To hear that familiar little snore that once filled the darkness with comfort.
Instead...
There is only silence.
A silence so deep it almost hurts.
But every now and then, something beautiful happens.
I dream of you.
You're running through a meadow bathed in golden light.
Your eyes sparkle.
Your tail wags.
You look healthy and happy, free from every pain that once slowed your steps.
And when you turn around to look at me, it's the same look you've always given me.
The look that says, "I'm still here."
Maybe those dreams are more than dreams.
Maybe they're little visits from Heaven.
Tiny reminders that love doesn't disappear when a heartbeat stops.
Maybe somewhere beyond the clouds, beyond the stars, beyond the Rainbow Bridge, you're still saving a place for me too.
A place where we'll never have to say goodbye again.
So tonight, I'll leave your side of the bed untouched.
Not because I'm holding on to the past.
But because love still sleeps there.
And some bonds are too beautiful to be broken by death.
Forever loved.
Forever missed.
Forever my best friend.
Reacties
Een reactie posten