The window where you waited for me is still there

 The window where you waited for me is still there.

The same curtains.
The same patch of sunlight on the floor.
The same view of the driveway.
Everything looks exactly the same.
Except you're not in it.
Every day when I came home, I knew where to look.
Before I even opened the door, I'd see you.
Sitting by that window.
Watching.
Waiting.
Your eyes following every passing car until finally...
it was mine.
And suddenly there you'd be.
Tail wagging so hard your whole body shook.
That little spark of joy that made me feel like the most important person in the world.
No matter what kind of day I had.
No matter how tired I was.
You were always there.
Waiting.
I never realized how precious that was.
I thought there would always be another day.
Another greeting.
Another happy face pressed against the glass.
Another moment where our eyes met and everything felt right.
Now the window feels different.
The sunlight still pours through it every afternoon.
The world outside keeps moving.
Cars pass.
Neighbors walk by.
Birds land in the yard.
But the one soul I keep hoping to see isn't there.
Sometimes I catch myself glancing toward that spot without thinking.
Just for a second.
Just long enough for my heart to imagine you sitting there again.
Your ears perked up.
Your tail tapping against the floor.
Your eyes filled with that unconditional love that asked for nothing and gave everything.
The silence that follows is always hard.
But lately, I've started to see that window differently.
Maybe it isn't empty.
Maybe it's still connecting us.
Because when the evening sky glows gold and pink, I can almost feel you nearby.
As if you're watching from somewhere beyond the clouds.
As if the love that once waited for me at that window never really left.
It simply found a new place to wait.
A place beyond pain.
Beyond time.
Beyond goodbye.
I like to imagine you now in a beautiful meadow beneath the Rainbow Bridge.
Running through endless fields.
Chasing butterflies.
Resting beneath the warm sunlight.
Yet every now and then, stopping to look toward Heaven's horizon.
Waiting for me the same way you always did.
Patient.
Loyal.
Certain that one day I'll come home to you again.
And when that day comes, there won't be any glass between us.
No distance.
No sorrow.
No final farewells.
Just your familiar eyes.
Your happy tail.
And the love that never stopped waiting.
The window where you waited for me may be empty now...
but my heart knows you're still watching.
Still loving.
Still waiting.
And one day, I'll finally be coming home.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster