The pawprints are gone now
The pawprints are gone now.
The rain washed them away long ago.The little muddy marks you left across the porch.
The prints in the backyard after a summer storm.
The tiny tracks that led from the garden to the back door.
Nature erased them.
Time erased them.
But my heart never could.
Sometimes I close my eyes and I can still see them.
The familiar pattern.
The evidence that you had been there.
Proof that a beautiful soul once walked beside me.
Back then, I used to wipe those muddy pawprints away without a second thought.
I'd laugh and grab a towel.
You'd look up at me with those innocent eyes as if to say, "What? I was just excited to see you."
If only I had known.
If only I had known that one day I would miss every single one of them.
I would have taken a thousand pictures.
I would have left them there a little longer.
I would have memorized every mark you made in this world.
Because now, the floors stay clean.
The porch stays spotless.
The yard grows quiet.
And somehow, that's what hurts the most.
The absence.
The places where your presence used to be.
The spaces where life once danced through the house on four happy paws.
There are days when grief whispers cruel things.
It tells me you're gone.
That all that's left are memories.
But then I remember something important.
The pawprints that mattered most were never the ones in the dirt.
They were the ones you left on my heart.
Those prints remain untouched.
No storm can wash them away.
No season can fade them.
No passage of time can erase the love you carved into my soul.
I see them every time I smile at an old photo.
Every time I find one of your toys tucked away in a corner.
Every time I hear a song that reminds me of our car rides together.
Every time I feel a sudden warmth and wonder if you're near.
Because love leaves traces.
Beautiful traces.
Permanent traces.
And yours are everywhere.
I imagine you now running through endless meadows beneath the Rainbow Bridge.
Your paws no longer tired.
Your body no longer old.
Your spirit shining brighter than ever.
And with every joyful step, you're leaving new pawprints among the stars.
Waiting for the day I follow them home.
Until then, I'll carry the ones you left behind.
Not on my floors.
Not on my porch.
But in the deepest parts of my heart.
Forever.
Because some pawprints were never meant to fade.
They were meant to stay forever.
Reacties
Een reactie posten