When the house goes still and the quiet

 When the house goes still and the quiet gets heavy, sleep becomes the one place I still get to find you. Somewhere between drifting off and waking, you're just there — the way you always were. Tail going, eyes bright, whole and happy and mine.

We do all the old things. Run the same paths. Rest in the same light. I hold you close and for that small stretch of time, nothing is missing. I laugh the way I used to, because you're still my joy, still my calm, still the most constant thing I've ever known.

Then morning arrives and I open my eyes to the empty space beside me. But I carry the dream forward — through every quiet hour of the day. I miss those ordinary moments more than I'll ever find the right words for. But in my dreams, I get to live them again. With you. And I hope wherever you are, you feel every bit of that love finding you each night too. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster