I brought him home

 I brought him home at a time when I had very little to give anyone — including myself.

Life had worn me down. The days were heavy, the nights were quiet in the wrong way, and I carried a loneliness I couldn't quite name. Then one afternoon, I came across a scruffy little Golden Retriever — fur unkempt, eyes dull, sitting like he'd already stopped expecting anything good to happen. I knew that feeling well. I crouched down beside him, and something unspoken passed between us. I couldn't walk away.

The first few weeks were slow. He was cautious. I was too. But little by little, we found our rhythm. His tail started moving when he heard my footsteps. He'd wait by the door. He'd rest his head on my knee without being asked. I started sleeping better. Laughing a little more. Feeling like someone needed me — and that turned out to be exactly what I needed too.

Then one night, a fire started while I was asleep. I didn't stir. He did. He barked and pawed at me until I opened my eyes and got us both out safely. Sitting outside in the cold air that night, watching the smoke clear, it hit me fully — he hadn't just joined my life. He had quietly, steadily become the reason I was taking better care of it.

I thought I was the one doing the rescuing. I wasn't. Not even close. šŸ¾❤️

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster