Care is a daily choice
Care is a daily choice.
I didn’t understand that fully until after you were gone.When people talk about love, they often remember the big moments.
The exciting moments.
The unforgettable moments.
But when I think about us...
I think about the ordinary ones.
Because that's where love spent most of its time.
It lived in filled water bowls.
In morning walks before the world was awake.
In checking on you when you were sleeping peacefully across the room.
In making sure your favorite blanket was nearby.
In learning your routines so well that they became part of my own.
Every day, without realizing it, I chose you.
And every day, without hesitation, you chose me too.
That’s what care really was.
Not grand gestures.
Not perfect moments.
Just showing up.
Again and again.
Even on tired days.
Even on busy days.
Even on the days when life felt overwhelming.
There were meals to prepare.
Leashes to grab.
Beds to straighten.
Ears to scratch.
Comfort to give.
A thousand tiny acts that seemed so normal at the time.
Now I look back and see them differently.
Those weren't chores.
They were love in its working clothes.
The kind of love that quietly builds a life.
Sometimes I miss those little responsibilities almost as much as I miss you.
I miss hearing your paws approach when it was time to eat.
I miss checking the weather before a walk.
I miss the way caring for you gave shape to my days.
Because taking care of you was never a burden.
It was a privilege.
One of the greatest privileges of my life.
And even now, after all this time, I realize something beautiful.
Care didn't end when you left.
It simply changed direction.
Now I care for your memory.
I care for the stories.
I care for the photographs that still make me smile and cry at the same time.
I care for the love you left behind.
I carry it gently.
Like something precious.
Like something alive.
Sometimes I imagine you beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
Running freely through endless meadows.
Healthy.
Joyful.
Surrounded by peace.
And I like to think that all those years of daily care traveled with you.
That every filled bowl.
Every gentle touch.
Every whispered "good boy" or "good girl."
Every act of devotion became part of the light surrounding you now.
Because love doesn't disappear.
It accumulates.
It grows.
It follows us farther than we can see.
So when people ask what love looks like, I think of you.
I think of ordinary days made sacred by simple acts of care.
And I remember this truth:
Love is not only a feeling.
It is a choice we make over and over again.
And loving you was the easiest choice I ever made.
Reacties
Een reactie posten