The silence held you gently
The silence held you gently.
Not the kind of silence that feels cold.Not the kind that empties a room and leaves it aching.
I mean the silence that came after your breathing slowed… when the world seemed to understand that something sacred was happening, and even time itself became quiet for you.
I still remember that stillness.
The way everything softened.
The way your tired body rested so carefully, as if love itself was trying not to hurt you anymore.
I sat there listening for every little breath, every tiny movement, every pause in between. My hand stayed on you as long as I could, because I needed you to know you were not leaving this world alone.
You were wrapped in my voice.
In my tears.
In every thank you I did not know how to say out loud.
And when the moment came… it did not feel loud.
It felt unbearably quiet.
Like the room had lowered its head.
Like the air had become tender.
Like heaven had leaned down close and whispered, “I’ll take it from here.”
That silence has stayed with me.
I find it in the places you used to be.
In the corner where your bed still rests.
In the pause before I put your bowl away.
In the night, when the house is dark and I could almost believe you are still sleeping nearby, warm and safe, untouched by pain.
Sometimes grief is not crying out.
Sometimes it is sitting very still with a collar in your hands, remembering the softness of ears you used to kiss… the sound of paws that once crossed the floor… the little sigh you made when you finally settled in for the night.
Sometimes grief is silence because love is too deep for words.
But I have started to believe that silence is not always empty.
Sometimes it carries presence.
Sometimes it becomes a blanket for memory.
Sometimes it holds the shape of someone we miss so dearly that even after they are gone, the room still feels full of them.
I hope that when you left, the silence truly did hold you gently.
I hope it carried you like a feather.
I hope beyond this life there was a meadow waiting, golden and calm, where your legs felt strong again and your eyes were bright again. I hope you lifted your head, took a peaceful breath, and knew without fear that you were still loved… still mine… still home.
And maybe that is why the quiet feels different now.
It still hurts.
It always will.
But somewhere inside that hush, I can feel something soft.
Something holy.
Something that tells me you were not lost in the silence.
You were loved through it.
And perhaps, even now, you rest inside that same gentle peace… while I carry your beautiful, wordless love in my heart forever.
Reacties
Een reactie posten