I used to think time would take you away from me

 I used to think time would take you away from me.

That every passing day would create more distance.

That eventually your voice in my memory would become quieter.

Your face would become harder to picture.

The little details I loved most would slowly fade.

But I was wrong.

Time didn’t take you away.

It keeps bringing you back.

Not the way I wish it could.

Not through the sound of your paws running across the floor.

Not through the warmth of your body curled beside me.

Not through the excited eyes waiting for me at the door.

But through moments.

Tiny, unexpected moments that find me when I least expect them.

A patch of sunlight on the floor that looks exactly like your favorite sleeping spot.

A familiar jingle from another dog's collar that makes my heart stop for a second.

A quiet evening when the house feels so peaceful that I can almost imagine you breathing beside me again.

You are everywhere time allows love to remain.

I used to fear forgetting.

That was one of the hardest parts of losing you.

The thought that one day I might wake up and not remember exactly how your fur felt beneath my hands.

Or how your eyes looked when you were waiting for me.

Or the little sounds you made that belonged only to you.

But love is stronger than memory.

Because I don't just remember you with my mind.

I remember you with my heart.

My hands remember.

My home remembers.

My soul remembers.

Time has taught me something I never wanted to learn...

That missing someone doesn't mean they are gone.

Sometimes missing someone is simply proof that they are still deeply loved.

I imagine you now in a place where time does not hurt.

Where days don't pass too quickly.

Where no one grows old.

Where every walk lasts as long as you want.

Where the grass is always soft, the sunshine is always warm, and every dog runs with the happiness they carried when they were young.

I see you there beneath the gentle glow of the Rainbow Bridge.

Healthy.

Free.

Waiting.

And maybe you look back sometimes...

Not because you are sad.

But because you know.

You know that my love is still reaching for you.

You know that every year, every season, every quiet moment has your name written somewhere inside it.

Time didn't erase our story.

It carried it.

It carried your pawprints into my heart so deeply that even the years cannot wash them away.

And one day...

When my own time here is finished...

I believe time will bring me back to you.

Not as a goodbye.

But as a homecoming.

I'll hear your happy paws again.

I'll see your beautiful face.

And I'll finally understand...

You were never lost to time.

You were always waiting beyond it.

Forever loved.

Forever remembered.

Forever mine.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster