Your memory feels physical

 Your memory feels physical.

That's the strangest part.
I expected memories to live in my mind.
I expected photographs.
Stories.
Old videos.
The sound of your name.
But I never expected to feel you.
And yet...
I do.
Sometimes it's so real that it catches me off guard.
I'll be sitting quietly, and suddenly I can almost feel the weight of your head resting on my leg.
I'll walk past your favorite spot in the house and swear I can sense your presence there.
Not see it.
Not touch it.
Just feel it.
As if love left an imprint that never completely faded.
The world tells us memories are thoughts.
But anyone who has loved and lost a dog knows better.
Memories can be physical.
They can live in your chest.
In your throat.
In your hands.
I still reach down sometimes, expecting to brush against your fur.
I still glance toward the door when I come home.
I still wake up in the middle of the night and feel, for one beautiful second, as though you're nearby.
Then reality returns.
And so does the ache.
Because missing you isn't something I only think about.
It's something I carry.
It's the heaviness that arrives when I find one of your old toys.
It's the lump in my throat when I hear another collar jingle.
It's the warmth that spreads through my heart when a happy memory suddenly appears.
You left pawprints in places deeper than the floor.
You left them inside me.
I remember the feeling of your nose nudging my hand when you wanted attention.
The comfort of your body curled beside mine during difficult nights.
The way your tail thumped against the furniture when you heard my voice.
Those moments are gone.
But somehow, they're not.
Because my body remembers them.
My heart remembers them.
My soul remembers them.
There are days when grief feels less like sadness and more like longing.
A longing so deep it feels tangible.
As if I could stretch out my hand and almost reach you.
Almost.
And maybe that's because love doesn't understand distance.
Love doesn't understand goodbye.
Love keeps reaching.
Keeps searching.
Keeps holding on.
I imagine you now beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
Running through fields of endless sunlight.
Your paws touching soft grass instead of hard floors.
Your eyes bright.
Your body strong.
Your spirit completely free.
And sometimes I wonder if you feel it too.
The connection.
The bond.
The invisible thread that still stretches between us.
Because there are moments when your memory arrives with such force, such warmth, such life...
That it doesn't feel like remembering.
It feels like visiting.
Like for a brief second, the space between our worlds becomes smaller.
And I am reminded of something beautiful.
You may be beyond my reach.
But you are not beyond my love.
You are not beyond my heart.
You are not beyond the life we shared.
That's why your memory feels physical.
Because it isn't just a memory.
It's a piece of you that still lives within me.
A piece of you that still comforts me.
Still moves me.
Still finds me.
And maybe it always will.
Because some loves become so deeply woven into who we are...
That even after goodbye, they continue to feel wonderfully, heartbreakingly real. šŸŒˆšŸ¾❤️
Forever loved.
Forever remembered.
Forever felt. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster