Love showed up today
Love showed up today.
Not in a grand way.Not with a miracle.
Not with the sound of your paws racing down the hallway.
I wish it had.
But grief has taught me that love often arrives quietly.
Softly.
Almost unnoticed.
This morning, I walked past the place where your bed used to be.
For a second, that familiar ache returned.
The one that lives deep inside the chest.
The one that whispers, "You should still be here."
I stood there longer than I meant to.
Looking at an empty space that somehow still feels full.
And then something happened.
A memory found me.
Not one of the sad ones.
Not one from the end.
But one from a beautiful ordinary day.
You were stretched out in a patch of sunlight, completely relaxed.
One ear folded over.
One paw twitching as you dreamed.
And when I called your name, your tail thumped against the floor without you even opening your eyes.
Just once.
As if to say,
"I'm here."
The memory made me laugh.
Then cry.
Then laugh again.
And that's when I realized something.
Love had shown up.
Because that's what it does.
It arrives in memories when the silence feels too loud.
It appears in old photographs hidden in drawers.
It waits inside songs.
Inside dreams.
Inside moments that seem ordinary until they suddenly become everything.
There was a time when every memory hurt.
Every reminder felt like a wound reopening.
I thought I would spend the rest of my life running from them.
But now...
Something has changed.
The memories still make me cry sometimes.
But they also comfort me.
Because every memory is proof that you were here.
Proof that we found each other in this enormous world.
Proof that I was lucky enough to be loved by you.
I still miss the sound of your collar.
I still miss the way you followed me from room to room.
I still miss the feeling of reaching down and finding your warm fur beneath my hand.
Some losses never stop aching.
But neither does love.
That's the beautiful part no one tells you.
Grief and love grow together.
One reminds you of what you lost.
The other reminds you of what you still have.
And today, love won.
Today it showed up in a sunbeam across the floor.
In a favorite memory.
In the smile that appeared through tears.
In the warmth that settled over my heart when I thought of you.
I imagine you now beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
Running through fields of wildflowers beneath skies painted with gold and rainbow light.
Your tail wagging.
Your eyes bright.
Your spirit free.
And I like to think that every time I remember you with love instead of only sadness...
You feel it.
Like a gentle breeze crossing a heavenly meadow.
Like a familiar voice carried on the wind.
Like a reminder that the bond we built is still alive.
So tonight, as the stars begin appearing one by one, I find myself feeling grateful.
Not because I stopped missing you.
I never will.
But because even after all this time...
Love still knows where to find me.
It shows up in your memory.
It shows up in your story.
It shows up in the beautiful space you left inside my heart.
And somehow...
It showed up today.
Forever loved.
Forever remembered.
Forever arriving when I need it most.
Reacties
Een reactie posten