The quiet feels sudden still

 The quiet feels sudden still.

Even though it's been months.
Maybe even years.
You would think by now I would be used to it.
But grief doesn't work that way.
Some mornings I wake up and reach for the edge of the bed, expecting to feel the warmth of your fur curled beside me.
Some evenings I walk through the house and instinctively listen for the sound of paws following behind me.
And then it hits me all over again.
The silence.
That impossible, aching silence.
It's strange how a dog can fill an entire home.
Not with noise.
But with presence.
You were the heartbeat of ordinary days.
The gentle sigh from your favorite spot on the couch.
The soft jingle of your collar when you stretched.
The way your tail tapped against the wall whenever I said your name.
Little sounds.
Tiny moments.
Things I barely noticed when they were happening.
Things I would give anything to hear one more time.
Now the house stands exactly the same.
The furniture hasn't moved.
The walls haven't changed.
The sunlight still falls across the floor every afternoon.
But somehow everything feels different.
Because you're not here to share it.
Sometimes I catch myself smiling at a memory.
The way you ran through the yard like every day was the greatest adventure ever given.
The way you looked at me as if I was the most important person in the world.
The way your eyes always found mine.
And for a moment, the sadness softens.
Because I realize something.
The quiet isn't empty.
It's full.
Full of every walk we took.
Every game we played.
Every cuddle on difficult days.
Every secret I whispered into your fur.
Every ounce of love you left behind.
Maybe that's why the quiet feels so heavy.
Not because you are gone.
But because your love touched every corner of this life.
And every corner remembers.
I like to think that somewhere beyond the Rainbow Bridge, you're still carrying a piece of me too.
Maybe when the wind moves through the grass in those endless heavenly meadows, you pause and think of home.
Maybe you still feel our bond stretching across the distance.
Because I know I do.
Every single day.
And when the world grows quiet enough...
I swear it almost feels like you're here.
Not in body.
But in spirit.
In memory.
In love.
Forever loved.
Forever missed.
Forever mine.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster