My sweet dog

 My sweet dog,

Today I noticed something that made me stop in the middle of the hallway.
Not something big.
Not something anyone else would have noticed.
Just a faint scratch on the wall near the door.
One of the marks you left behind years ago when you got excited and jumped up to greet me.
For a moment, I stood there staring at it.
And I smiled.
Then I cried.
Because that's what grief does.
It turns the smallest things into entire memories.
The corner of the couch where your fur used to collect.
The toy still hidden under the chair.
The tiny nose prints that once covered the window.
The worn spot in the yard where you loved to lie in the sun.
Everywhere I look...
there is evidence that you were here.
You left your pawprints on more than the floor.
You left them on my heart.
Sometimes people think healing means moving on.
As if love is something we're supposed to pack away and leave behind.
But I don't want to erase you.
I don't want to pretend you never existed.
I don't want a home without reminders of you.
Because every mark you left behind tells a story.
A story about loyalty.
A story about joy.
A story about a friendship so pure that even death couldn't take it away.
Your collar still hangs where I left it.
Your photo still sits beside my bed.
And every now and then, I still say your name out loud.
Not because I expect an answer.
But because it feels good to hear it.
Because your name is part of my story.
Part of my life.
Part of who I am.
Sometimes I imagine you beyond the Rainbow Bridge.
Running through fields of golden grass beneath endless skies.
Chasing butterflies.
Feeling young again.
Whole again.
Happy again.
And I wonder if you're carrying reminders of me too.
Maybe somewhere in that beautiful place, there are traces of our life together.
Maybe love leaves marks on souls the same way it leaves marks on homes.
Maybe that's why I still feel you.
Why I still dream of you.
Why I still miss you with every piece of my heart.
Because real love doesn't disappear.
It settles into the walls.
The photographs.
The memories.
The quiet moments.
And most of all...
the heart.
So if anyone asks where you went, I know the answer.
You didn't leave completely.
Love left its mark here.
And it always will.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster