The Silence After You!

 The Silence After You!

You don’t understand how loud silence can be…
Until the sound of their paws is gone.
The house still looks the same.
The same walls.
The same furniture.
The same sunlight spilling across the floor every morning.
But nothing feels the same.
Because you were the sound inside the silence.
The gentle click of your nails on the hardwood.
The jingle of your collar as you followed me from room to room.
The sigh you made before settling into your favorite spot.
Tiny sounds.
Ordinary sounds.
The kind I barely noticed when they were here.
And now...
I would give anything to hear them again.
Some evenings are the hardest.
I walk through the house and catch myself listening.
Listening for footsteps that won't come.
Listening for the familiar rustle of you getting comfortable.
Listening for a life that once filled every corner of this home.
And when nothing answers...
the silence rushes in.
Heavy.
Endless.
A reminder that someone important is missing.
But over time...
I've started to hear something else hiding inside that silence.
Not your footsteps.
Not your bark.
Not your collar.
Something softer.
The memories.
The countless moments you left behind.
The echoes of every walk.
Every cuddle.
Every greeting at the door that made a bad day disappear.
And suddenly...
the silence doesn't feel quite so empty.
Because it isn't empty at all.
It's full of you.
Full of love that never found a reason to leave.
Full of memories still breathing inside these walls.
So when the silence comes...
I don't run from it anymore.
I sit with it.
And somewhere within that quiet...
I find you.
Not gone.
Not forgotten.
Just loved in a different way now. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster