I Saved Your Leash!

 I Saved Your Leash!

I couldn't throw it away.
I tried once.
Picked it up...
held it in my hands...
and stood there for a long time.
But I couldn't do it.
Because that leash isn't just a leash.
It's Saturday mornings.
It's excited circles by the front door.
It's muddy paws and long walks that somehow fixed bad days.
It's you.
So I saved it.
It's still hanging where it always hung.
Waiting.
Not because I think you'll come running around the corner.
But because some things deserve to stay.
Some things become sacred after goodbye.
Sometimes I walk past it and smile.
Sometimes I walk past it and cry.
And sometimes...
I reach out and touch it.
Just for a second.
Because my fingers remember what my heart never forgot.
The gentle pull.
The happy urgency.
The way you'd look back at me as if every walk was the greatest adventure ever created.
That leash once connected us.
One end in my hand.
One end in your world.
And maybe...
in a strange way...
it still does.
Not through sidewalks and parks anymore.
But through memories.
Through love.
Through all the moments that continue to live long after the walk has ended.
People might see an old leash.
A worn piece of fabric.
Something that should have been packed away long ago.
But I see a lifetime.
I see loyalty.
I see joy.
I see a best friend who turned ordinary days into treasured memories.
So yes...
I saved your leash.
Because letting go of an object was easy.
Letting go of what it represents was impossible.
And truthfully...
I don't want to.
Because every time I see it hanging there...
I'm reminded that some journeys never really end.
They simply continue...
inside the heart.
Forever connected.
Forever loved.
Forever my walking partner. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster