The day you left, the house exhaled

 The day you left, the house exhaled.

It was as if even the walls knew something sacred had ended.

No more footsteps following me room to room.
No soft snore from the corner of the bed.
Just silence — thick and endless.

For a while, I tried to fill it.
Music, TV, anything to drown out the ache.
But no sound could replace the rhythm of your life woven through mine.

Then one night, the quiet softened.
And I realized —
you were still here.
Not in sound, but in presence.
In the way the light rests gently where you used to sleep.
In the way my heart still pauses before turning off the lamp.

This silence… it isn’t empty.
It’s your echo.
It’s the space love leaves behind so memory can breathe.

Now, when the night grows still,
I don’t run from it.
I listen.
Because sometimes, if I close my eyes long enough,
I can almost hear your breathing again —
steady, soft, eternal.

The house fell silent, yes.
But silence, I’ve learned,
isn’t the absence of you.
It’s where love hides its voice —
so it can last forever. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster