Everyone thinks grief is a moment

 Everyone thinks grief is a moment.

A single heartbreaking instant when everything changes forever. The goodbye. The final breath. The last time you reach down to stroke their fur. People imagine loss as a line that separates before from after, as if life can simply be divided into two neat halves.

But that wasn't how it felt for me.

The moment didn't end when you left. It followed me home. It sat beside me in the car. It walked through the front door with me and settled quietly into every corner of the life we once shared together. Long after the goodbye was over, the moment remained.

I still find myself living inside it sometimes.

I'll reach for your leash before remembering there are no walks to take. I'll hear a sound outside and glance toward the window, expecting to see you watching the world go by. For a second, my heart forgets what my mind already knows. For a second, you're still here.

Then reality gently returns.

The house grows quiet again. The familiar sounds are gone. The routines we shared now belong only to memory. Yet even in the silence, I can feel traces of you everywhere. It's as though love left an imprint on every room and every ordinary part of my day.

The strange thing is that the moment isn't only sadness anymore.

At first, it was heartbreak. It was tears falling onto an empty dog bed. It was waking up and remembering all over again. But as time passed, something else began to grow alongside the grief. Gratitude. Love. The realization that having you was worth every tear that came after losing you.

Now the moment carries memories too.

I remember the way your eyes lit up when I grabbed your leash. The way you greeted me like I was the most important person in the world. The way you could turn an ordinary afternoon into something special just by being there. Those memories still hurt sometimes, but they also feel like gifts.

I often wonder if you know how much you changed my life.

How your love became part of who I am. How your loyalty taught me what devotion looks like. How your presence filled spaces inside my heart that I didn't even know were empty until you arrived. Some bonds leave marks that time cannot erase, and ours is one of them.

When I think about the Rainbow Bridge, I don't imagine it as a place far away.

I imagine it as a place connected to every beautiful memory we created together. A place where your spirit runs free beneath endless skies. A place where joy has replaced pain and where every tail wag carries the promise that love never truly dies.

Maybe that's why the moment never ended.

Because love never ended.

You didn't disappear when I said goodbye. You simply moved beyond my sight. The bond we built continues through every memory, every quiet thought, and every piece of my heart that still belongs to you.

So when people ask if it gets easier, I think of that moment.

The moment that changed everything.

The moment that never truly ended.

Because it became part of a love story that still lives inside me every single day. And until the day we meet again, I'll carry that story with me wherever I go.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster