Before you

 Before you...

I didn’t realize how much a soul could rely on another without saying a single word.

You were my steady ground.

The part of my life that never wavered.

Never judged.

Never left.

No matter how loud the world became outside, you were always the quiet that brought me back to myself.

I still remember the way you used to settle beside me without asking.

As if you knew exactly when I was falling apart inside.

You never tried to fix me.

You just stayed.

Warm.

Present.

Enough.

There are days now when everything feels a little unbalanced.

The world still spins the same way...

But something inside me feels like it lost its center.

I reach for routines we used to share.

Morning walks that don’t happen anymore.

Evenings where your head would rest against my leg as if you were holding me together more than I was holding you.

Even silence feels different now.

Not empty...

Just missing its most comforting sound.

You taught me what stability really is.

Not perfection.

Not control.

But presence.

The kind of love that doesn’t leave when things get hard.

The kind of love that sits on the floor with you during your lowest days and doesn’t move until you’re ready.

Now, when I sit alone, I still feel you in the spaces between my thoughts.

Like a memory that never fully left.

Like a heartbeat that learned how to echo.

Sometimes I close my eyes and imagine you again.

Running through open fields beyond the Rainbow Bridge.

No pain weighing you down.

No tiredness in your steps.

Just that same steady joy you always carried into my world.

And in that moment...

I understand something softer than grief.

I understand gratitude.

Because even though I lost you...

I was held by you first.

Every part of me that feels stronger today was shaped by your quiet loyalty.

Every moment I choose kindness over anger...

Patience over fear...

Love over silence...

It’s because you once showed me how.

You were my steady ground then.

And somehow...

You still are now.

Just in a different way.

Not under my feet anymore...

But inside my heart.

Anchoring me when the waves come.

Guiding me when I forget how to stand.

And I believe that one day, beyond this world, I’ll find you again in that place where nothing shakes and nothing breaks.

You’ll look at me the same way you always did.

Like I was enough.

Like I was home.

Until then...

I will carry your steadiness inside me.

Because a love like yours doesn’t disappear.

It simply becomes the ground I stand on when everything else fades. 

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Open brief aan mijn oudste dochter...

Kraai

Vraag me niet hoe ik altijd lach

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Ekster